Data Entry on Total effecting only unlocked months

Options
Dylan Fitzmaurice
Dylan Fitzmaurice Active Partner
First Comment First Anniversary
edited April 2020 in Platform

Hey Guys, 

I'm just looking for some help on how to optimize this dataview.

Right now the view is pretty basic.

Block 1: The cube to data enter into, by Account by Month by Cost Center, Locked by Cube in block 2.

Block 2: A cube to flag which months to locked, by month.

I want to be able to enter a value into the total column and have it distribute to get the desired total amongst the unlocked months only.

eg

Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr,May,June,July,Aug,Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec,Total

100,100,100,110,90,100,100,100,100,100,100,100,1200              with Jan,feb,mar locked

Enter in 2100 to get this result:

Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr,May,June,July,Aug,Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec,Total

Because these months are locked on the cube it doesn't allow entry into the total. Is there a workaround or a way to setup the dataview to achieve the desired results?

Thanks in Advance,

Dylan Fitzmaurice

Answers

• If any cells are locked by, then data entry at the totals is disabled removing the ability for traditional split and splat. However, the proportional split and split might get you around it: Split and Splat Based on Cube 

I have not had a chance to test but just a thought.

HTH.

• Andrea Masiero
    Options

if you use the Lock&Spread function selecting all the cells not locked and entering the total you are looking for in the Total field, i think it can work as you desire. 

this is the first and simplest solution i have in mind. 

It doesn't cost a thing because is out of the box and you promote the use of one of the most powerful object in BOARD for data entry. 

• Dinesh Chand
    Dinesh Chand Active Partner
    First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment 5 Likes
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hey Andrea,

Old post but thought I would reply. Lock and Spread is great but in some instances there are valid business reasons to use a locking cube. E.g. Forecasts - you dont want actual /historical months to be changed by split and splat.  

Not sure whether this is all resolved in the current releases - Row and Column locking based on blocks is available in B10 up but it does not seem to work.

Regards,
    Dinesh

------------------------------
    Dinesh Chand
    Principal Consultant
    Taysols
    Australia
    ------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------