Defaults for inserting new rows?

Options
Unknown
Unknown Active Partner
edited April 2020 in Platform

Hi folks,

I'm working on a new capital planning module and I have a screen where users will be able to request approval for new capital purchases. Is there a way to default some of the fields in the new row when a user creates it? For example, after a user clicks the icon for a new row, I would like the following defaults:

• Cube Values
    • Quantity = 1
    • Purchase Date = Today()
  • Relationships
    • Request Status = Requested
    • Asset Category = Vehicle

Below is an example of a existing completed row (Trucks) and a newly created row (Diggers). For the Diggers row, I would like the defaults applied right when the row is created. 

So far, it looks like I can use a procedure to apply defaults for cube values and tie it to the dataview by using the Set Trigger feature. That works for the cube values, but only takes effect after they save. I can't seem to find the defaults for the relationships. When a user creates a new entity, this popup appears. Is there a way to default the items in this relationship popup? ...or hide them completely? 

Tagged:

Answers

• Previous Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

I am not sure whether you can define defaults for relationships using "insert new member" option within a dataview. I think this is not possible.

Have you tried the ATO management to reach the same goal already ?

You can activate ATO for a screen from the screen menu:

After this, all pagers you add to the screen see a bit different to the usual pagers.

It would allow you to define default relationships from the drop-down list of each entity's members. Another advantage is that you have the option to allow the user to add new members to several entities, if desired, using the "insert/edit member" options:

It doesn't allow to hide members of the entities. Even if you select or exclude a few members using the screen selects, the ATO ignores it and shows all the members. I haven't tested if the user database security profile is ignored by ATO or not.

If you have a dataview within the same screen, it will first not show any values before you actively select a member of the entity you define in the pager. Don't be surprised if it shows blank first.

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Thank you for letting me know about how ato might help me here. I’ll experiment with it to see if it does the trick. 

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hi Bob Gill,

the function "insert new members" in a dataview is a little bit restricted compared to ato and if you're planning to use this functionalty in HTML5 you will be left to ATO since HTML5 as of now does not support "insert new members" in a DataView.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Helmut

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

As I've been going through the e-learning resources, I've found these two sections helpful for this particular purpose.

XP09 - The Data Entry

XP10 - The Item Entry

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Bob Gill , did the solution using ATOs from interested typ work for you? To control the members that users see, you can use a SELECT cube and 'hide' those members not wanted. I've just created a video on it called 'Sort and Select'. It should be released either today or tomorrow but in essence:

1.  Create a single entity cube, 

2.  Create a dataview and add the cube 

3.  Select data entry on

4.  Change output to check boxes

5.  Add and hide cube to target object

6.  Place cube in Filter a of target object and make > 0.5

7.  Select the cheekbones of members to show 

8.  Save data entry

9.  Target object will only show checked members. 

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Bob Gill, are you aware that only customers that have purchased the access can use the links you've provided?  I don't know if partners have dispensation to the BOARD e-Learning site but I do not.

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Hi Paul Wyatt - Avison Young UK,

I used a variation on the original idea. The ATO feature is very helpful because it can autoincrement my ID entity as new ones are created. Using the ATO, flattened groups and allow insert features, I’m now happy with the results. 

As for the links, I understand only folks with permission to the elearning site can use them. I’ve found it to be a helpful resource. 

• Gerrit Kohrs
    Gerrit Kohrs Active Partner
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    Options

Hi Bob Gill,

do you have an SQL-Server available? If so you can create new rows by using the ROLAP functionality. The solution is a little more complex and you need to build in some extra steps to make it multi-user-friendly, but feel free to contact me by email.

Best,

Gerrit