User activity log

Options

Hi,

we would like to analyze the activitiy of our Board Users to understand how many active users we have and which capsules/screesn they are using how frequently.

Is there a way to track and analyze this?

Thanks for your help!

Mathias

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you to read the following resource: BOARD LOGs in detail 

In particular, these paragraphs should be the relevant one for your need:

§1.1 Login / Logout information
    §2.2 Capsule Log

• Unknown
    Options

Hi,

thanks for your help.
    We will make use of this.

Especially 1.1, 2.2 and 3.7 is very helpful, however 1.1 is missing data for a couple of months, we will investigate this with our conultants.

I assume it is not possible to track which screens (if they don't contain procedures or data-enty functions, only reporting/display function) of a capsule were opened/used by a user?

Thanks again.

Mathias

• I assume it is not possible to track which screens (if they don't contain procedures or data-enty functions, only reporting/display function) of a capsule were opened/used by a user?

Why do you assume this ?

In §2.2 i read:

Filenames: Cpsx_YYYYMM.log

Updated every: User action on a Capsule screen

Log Rotation: every month – year and month appended in the file name

Header: Yes      

Fields Description:

UserName: User execution the action
    Date: Date (format YYYYMMDD)

Time: Time ( format hhmmss)

CapsulePath: Capsule in use by the user

ScreenTitle: screen

CubeName: Cube subject to the action

[N]=Normal / [E]=DataEntry / [S]=Submitted: Normal means the block is displayed in read mode. DataEntry is when the block is open for data entry. Submitted means the server has executed a data entry submission, the blocks entered are logged after the refresh as submitted.

So according to this, I would expect to find username, screen name etc... in this log file regardless of whether a screen has data-entry dataviews or procedures or nothing of both.

Regards,

• If you have a support login id for Board (for logging support tickets) then you can download the log analyzer application:

Board Log Analyzer

I haven't use it straight from here in a while, you may need to teak it a little as the log file formats have changed from time to time.

Might save you re-inventing the wheel

Robert