How to insert an empty column?

Options

Hey,

in the past it worked to create a new block, put column algorithm "-" (without quotation marks) and that was it. I got a column which I could format with grey colour to have a seperator in my table between different blocks.

What is the best solution for that nowadays?

Beste regards

Hannes Keller

Answers

• Samuele Marchetto
    Samuele Marchetto Active Partner
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi, 

you can digit " " as text algorithm and it works:

• Hannes Keller
    Hannes Keller Customer
    First Comment 5 Likes First Anniversary
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hey Marc,

excellent, thanks a lot for that quick reply.

Next question to solve is, that I have selected two years and have them in columns. Due to that I would have 2 "empty" columns now, one for each year. Another idea for that? Or just put a reference to only one year...ok that does not work.

• Johannes Blischke
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hey Hannes Keller,

you can use the "Detail by" function for your cube and remove the entity by column.

The sorting of your blocks in the layout now does effect the sorting in frontend, e.g. empty block as block "a", cube as block "b":

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers

Johannes

• Mads Meissner
    Mads Meissner Active Partner
    April Badge of the Month 5 Likes First Anniversary Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Hannes,
    a solution where you weren't that far away is to activate "Detail by" for Cube 1 and 2 which you find on the Reference tab.

This is how it looks like with the Year on the Column Axis.

(Additionally: if you have a column algorithm with " ", you can add a simple blank space in the Block Heading to avoid the " being shown in the header)

So if you use Detail by year for both Cube 1 and Cube 2 and remove the year in the axis, you will get the following dataview:

But consider the changed behaviour of the dataview: you will now get the cube values "individually", so complete Cube 1 and the Cube 2 following the blank instead of all values year by year.

Best regards from Berlin,

Mads

Edit: ok you really have to be fast to be the first response here :-)

• Samuele Marchetto
    edited March 2020
    Options

Another way is to calculate empty algorithm like "a*0" and set it as Number. In this case you obtain something like that:

but you have check the "Show All" option by row. To hide heading you have to set the same color for font and background (tab format for block b).

• Samuele Marchetto
    Options

Sorry, the last row is: "but you have to check the "Show All" option by COLUMN"

• Hannes Keller
    Hannes Keller Customer
    First Comment 5 Likes First Anniversary
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you all for your comments. One problem also was to have years and months in the same layout and to have just one column independently a selection of multiple years and months.

I am not sure why it did not work, but now it works the easiest way:

No References, nothing. 

Case closed for now.