Fix the duration in the Gantt-Chart (its off by 1 day)

Options
Michael Feith
Michael Feith Active Partner
Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
edited February 2023 in Idea Exchange

Hi,

it seems like the automatic calculation of the duration, which one can enable in the settings of the Gantt-Chart, is wrong by one day.

For example, the duration for an activity from the 10.1.2023 to the 13.01.2023 is shown as 3 days, while in reality there are 4 days: 10,11,12,13.

I assume it just calculates 20230113-20230110, which is 3.

It would be nice if its shown correctly.

There is ofcourse a workaround by creating a cube and a procedure where one can calculate the date manually and just add a +1, but it would be nice if the standard function works as intended.

Creating an algorithm with end-start +1 only works for the sub-activities (kickoff, design…), but not for the total (ERP-System), which essentially shows the start date of the first activity and the end date of the last one, but the algorithm cant calculate it correctly, it will just show 1.

Also it would be nice to give the option to only include weekdays in the calculation, but I assume this one is more complex to solve.

Kind regards,

Michael

3 votes

Accepted · Last Updated

Comments

• Anna Kirichenko
    Anna Kirichenko Active Partner, Employee
    Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Options

Hi Michael,

Indeed it would be nice to have this fixed. I actually see this rather as a bug, so I´ve opened the ticket to support (also referring to this post) in order to report the issue.

Regards

Anna

• Anna Kirichenko
    Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Options

Furthermore, as an idea I would like to propose adding an option to calculate the durante of just business days, not calendar days.

• Michael Feith
    Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

Hello Anna, thank you very much for opening the support ticket!

Kind regards

Michael

• Björn Reuber
    Björn Reuber Employee
    Community Captain First Answer First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi
    the calculation is correct, according to my understanding.
    If we have 10.01.2023-13.01.2023 the 3 days calculated by the software are correct.
    Consider software is using a “date time” value, so each value has the same time.
    So we have
    10.01.2023 00:00 = +0h
    11.01.2023 00:00 = + 24h / 1d
    12.01.2023 00:00 = +48h / 2d
    13.01.2023 00:00 = +72h / 3d
    regards
    Björn

• Philipp Schumacher
    Options

Hi Björn,

From an arithmetic view you are of course right.

But from a project view, the starting day is very relevant for the effort analysis. When I work on a project from Monday to Friday I have worked 5 days on it and not only 4.

Would it be possible to add the option to choose if the starting day should be counted or not?

Kind regards

Philipp

• Michael Williams
    Options

Hi Phillip,

I agree. If possible, I think having the option would be the best solution. Let´s see what the Lab say…

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi
    the calculation is correct, according to my understanding.

If we have 10.01.2023-13.01.2023 the 3 days calculated by the software are correct.

Consider software is using a “date time” value, so each value has the same time.

So we have

10.01.2023 = +0h

11.01.2023 = + 24h / 1d

12.01.2023 = +48h / 2d

13.01.2023 = +72h / 3d

regards

Björn

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi

it seems it is depending on the definition of “Day” and Duration.

I assume, as allways for Software systems we are using a DayTime (and only showing the day)

So we have

10.01 00:00/ 0 AM

11.01 00:00/ 0 AM so +24h/1Day

12.01 00:00/ 0 AM so +48h/2Day

13.01 00:00/ 0 AM so +72h/3Day

Your assumption for the last date is end of the day so 13:01 12:59 PM, not the beginning.

Regards

Björn

• Monisha Jain
    Options

Thank you Michael for sharing this. It is indeed a bug to fix, so thank you Anna for opening the ticket.

Regarding the idea of calculating for just business days, we understand the need of this solution. We have accepted this Idea to be part of our backlog and we are evaluating the feasibility of adding it to the development roadmap. 

We are committed to delivering the best possible experience to our customers, and we must prioritise the features and enhancements that will have the most significant impact on your daily use of our software. 

• Michael Feith
    Options

Hi Monisha,

thanks for following up on this!

I'm excited to see what the future will bring.

• Anna Kirichenko
    Options

Thanks very much Monisha, the feature would be very helpful.