Going to data model > cubes > structure is making IIS CPU load to 100% and super slow

Options

Hello,

We have this issue for a long time.

Each time we are going to Data Model > Cubes > Structure our BOARD platform is instable / super slow because IIS CPU load start to increase to 100% and IIS memory also increase a lot.

As a consequence, our PROD platform became super slow and unstable for users. Most of the time we have to restart IIS

⇒ I think BOARD is launching the ANALYSIS tab on background even if we do not click on that tab. And it seems that ANALYSIS tab is taking too many IIS ressources

Could you please confirm our thoughts :

1. Even if we are not going to the ANALYSIS tab, BOARD is launching cube analysis in background ?
  2. ANALYSIS feature could crash IIS because it is very intense when it has to scan all screen ?

regards

julien

Accepted Answers

• Claudio Imonti
    Claudio Imonti Employee
    First Anniversary First Comment Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Julien CARDON , thanks for your feedback.

This problem has been fixed in next 12.6.x patch

• Julien CARDON
    Julien CARDON Customer
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

Dear

@Leone Scaburri Even after restart, if I keep the search engine service enabled but deselect all capsules, system is still searching in capsule / screen.

Disabling totally the search engine works but in that case, I'm loosing analysis on data model side (which works well, not resource intensive)

@Claudio Imonti Great news, could you be more precise about the fix,

• Is-it related to the feature cube analysis that is launched in background even if we don't go to the tab analysis ?
    • Or about the fact that deselecting searchable capsule in search engine setting is not effetive ?

regards

julien

• Claudio Imonti
    Claudio Imonti Employee
    First Anniversary First Comment Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Julien CARDON

Basically we had api calls that were invoked more times than actually needed, this to get information from impact analysis even if already present in client.

This issue has been fixed.

Answers

• Leone Scaburri
    Options

Dear @Julien CARDON,

opening a cube from the list indeed triggers the execution of the Impact Analysis that is executed automatically on B12 versions. The amount of resources required to execute the analysis depends on the size of your application, in my example takes a few milliseconds, but in your case, the usage of CPU by IIS could be relevant.

Since the impact analysis mainly scan procedures and capsules, to minimize resource consumption, I would suggest reducing the number of capsules involved in the analysy as much as possible from the Search engine settings.

An alternative option would be to disable the Search Engine to prevent the execution of the impact analysis and enable it just on demand.

• Julien CARDON
    Options

Dear Leone,

thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, it's quite odd that BOARD launch such invasive process while I just want to check cube properties. If user is navigating to cube property for cube 1, then switch to cube property cube 2 then to property cube 3, then system will trigger analysis 3 times = BOARD platform will crash / sature CPU & RAM when you have a lot of screen / capsules

Nonetheless, I've tried to to unselect all my capsule in Search engine settings but I still have the same IIS CPU / RAM saturation.

Also what is strange is even if deselect all my capsule in search engine, cube analysis system is still able to find screen relation in cube analysis

⇒ So I have some doubt it seems that cube analysis bypass the search engine settings relating to searchable capsules ?

Analysis is using 6 CPU & 6go (I'm alone on the platform just on the cube properties)

Even after unselecting all capsules, cube analysis is still finding screen relation ?

thx

julien

• Leone Scaburri
    Options

Hi @Julien CARDON,

these settings edit requires a service restart to become effective.

• Zachary Turner
    Options

Additionally, you can expect the latest 12.6.x patch to be released in the next few weeks. We don't have an exact date, but please know we're working to get the next patch out.

• Zachary Turner
    Options

For On-Premise installations, you can download the latest 12.6 patch by going to Support > Downloads > Board 12.6.
    https://community.board.com/categories/downloads

For Board Cloud installations, please open a support ticket requesting the latest patch. Our Cloud Team will assist with the patch installation.

• Julien CARDON
    Options

thanks for the feedback, I have tested in my DEV platform and board web api stability is now much better!