Anyone using version / code management software in BOARD projects?

Options

Hey community,

I just saw Bob Gill linking his article World Cup 2018 to a repository on GitHub (GitHub - grobertgill/Tournament: BOARD Tournament model setup for World Cup 2018 ).

This is something I have been thinking about now and then but have never tried to do.

Is anyone of you using such solutions (GitHub, Subersion, ...) in BOARD projects?

If yes, in what way and what are your experiences? Would you recommend it?

BR

Sebastian

Tagged:

Answers

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Hi Sebastian Gurt,

I've been experimenting with using github public and private repositories for source code control with BOARD recently. One of the values in a source code control tool is seeing differences between current and historical copies of a file. Github, and other tools, support showing differences in binary files, although text is much more common. So far, I like using the private and private repositories for source code control because

• We already work as a remote team, so a cloud tool is a great fit
    • This provides a simple disaster recovery strategy by keeping backups, of every version, offsite
    • With the GIT LFS extension, it works with large files very easily.  
    • Collaborators can be controlled separately from BOARD user management
    • Scripts can be automated to run nightly to tag objects
    • I can see exactly what has changed very quickly
    • Comments on checkins help tell the story of who is working on which pieces

It's not very useful as a diff tool yet, but I proposed an idea to add a Github Diff Viewer which would allow folks to visually see differences between objects at different stages. If folks are already taking nightly backups of their system and the system is not changing, a source code control tool probably doesn't add any value. If nightly backups are not being done, and the objects are being developed, this is something to consider using.

Here are the public repositories I've created so far. 

I asked who else was using Sourcecode Control? tools, but didn't hear of any other experiments or solutions just yet.

• Sudarshan Dharankar
    Options

Can some one give a step-by-step how to setup board project in GitHub?