Two zero lines in a chart with two y-axis

Options

Does anybody have a solution for the following issue: 

We have a Chart with two Y-axis, the months are in the x-Axis. The data for both blocks is positive and negative. We get two Zero lines, one for each Y-Axis (see attached screenshot) I didn't find a way to get only one Zero line.

Anybody's got an idea?

Answers

• Helmut Heimann
    Helmut Heimann Employee
    March Badge of the Month February Badge of the Month Community Captain April Badge of the Month
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Tanja Kärcher!

Although the mentioned screenshot is missing I'd propose to have a look at the axis-settings of the chart:

Maybe this helps--otherwise, come back to me ;-)

Kind Regards,

Helmut

• Tanja Kärcher
    Tanja Kärcher Active Partner
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2020
    Options

Sorry, the screenshot somehow went lost...

I already had a look at the above mentioned menu but it didn't help me any further.

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hi Tanja Kärcher,

now, that I can see your screenshot, I understand what's troubling you. On the other hand I don't have a clue what the chart is meant to display on those axis. Maybe another chart type would solve your problem, but I would need to understand your aim.

Kind Regards,

Helmut

• Tanja Kärcher
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hello Helmut,

the chart just shows data examples (please see screenshot below). The aim is to have absolute figures on the first y-axis and an KPI in % on the second. As the KPI can vary between -100 and +100 and the absulute figures can vary between let's say -1 billion and +1 billion it is necessary to have a second axis. Otherwise you wouldn't see much of the KPI in the chart.

By the way: It doesn't matter if I have columns instead of lines. The problem stays just the same.

If you take my data to create a similar case you will see what the problem is.

Thank you very much!

Regards

Tanja

• Johannes Blischke
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Tanja Kärcher,

if you set fixed ranges for primary and secondary axis you will get the "0" at the same level.

For example I chose your suggested ranges like x axis from -1 million to +1 million and y axis from -100 to +100.

The result looks like this:

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers,

Johannes

• Tanja Kärcher
    Options

Hello Johannes,

thank you very much for your fast reply and for giving me a solution.

As the mentioned range of the data was just an example and the screen has various selectors we cannot use fixed ranges in the chart. But I am afraid that there is no other solution.

What we would need is an option like 'show only one zero line' when using a second Y-axis ;-)

Regards Tanja

• What we would need is an option like 'show only one zero line' when using a second Y-axis ;-)

It is a good idea ! I would reformulate it as "set both 0 values of both Y-Axis scales at the same height/level/whatever" or anything with "align vertically the scales of both Y-Axis"...

because the "zero line" is not a visible concept on your screenshot, so it could be misleading for a reader without context.

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hello Tanja,

I think in your case you would need some additional (unvisible) data to adjust the axis in the same way Johannes' screenshot shows--the goal would be to make both axis equidistant, so max- and min-values are equally distributed (this would not affect the values to be displayed).

Both blocks in your chart layout have an absolute maximum and this should be the max- and min-"maximum" (set to transparent) vice versa.

A bit tricky but I think it'll work ;-)

Kind Regards,

Helmut

• Tanja Kärcher
    Options

Hello Helmut,

many thanks for the input. I just tried it out: I multiplied each block with -1 so that I have four blocks and set the colour of the new blocks to transparent.

Disadvantage: You have to omit the legend box. But I think we can live with that.

Regards

Tanja

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hello Tanja,

you wouldn't need to omit the legend--just adjust its size and position to showing only those values you want to see.

Kind Regards,

Helmut

• Tanja Kärcher
    Options

I know what you mean. But I get a scrollbar when doing so.

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hi Tanja,

make it big enough so that no scrollbars are shown and then shift it right/left/up (whatever, in developing mode) so that only the desired values are visible (in presentation mode).

Kind Regards,

Helmut